When our client, a leading American airline, had to process an overload of flight cancellations, refunds and postponements due to the pandemic, they experienced a widespread system shock. Requests from customers came through multiple channels: phone calls, emails, online queues and more. This resulted in excess pressure on their customer service teams. Due to the sheer volume of requests, manual errors crept into the processes. There were multiple dimensions to the challenges they faced, including:
- Maintaining accuracy in request processing
- Updating flight information
- Sending cancellation notifications
- Readjusting travel schedules
- Supporting customer service personnel
- Making price adjustments based on volume
These challenges impacted thousands of flights, and hence had to be handled accurately in real-time.